Friday 19 October 2012

Recommendations: October 19

Alex Cross -The latest in the series of Alex Cross films, based on the books by James Patterson, this one is... I don't know.  I'm not sure if it's a reboot of the franchise, a continuation of the franchise, or if there ever really was a franchise at all - it is entirely possible that they're just movies that have only the flimsiest of connections.  I'm probably going to skip this one; I usually enjoy Patterson's books, but I'm not a big fan of his movies.

The Sessions - I actually really want to see this one.  The synopsis on IMDb alone has made me interested: "A man in an iron lung who wishes to lose his virginity contacts a professional sex surrogate with the help of his therapist and priest."  I want to see this.

The Paperboy - This one's not getting the best reviews, but I want to see it just because of the cast.  It's about a reporter who is investigating the death of a death row inmate in his hometown, and features Matthew McConaughey, Nicole Kidman, John Cusack, and Zac Efron, among others.

Moonrise Kingdom - I'm really not sure what to think about this movie.  I still haven't seen it, and I'm not sure if I want to.  It's Wes Anderson's latest, and it's gotten good reviews and has a good cast, I'm just not sure if I want to check it out. I'm sure I will, eventually.

Pete's Dragon - It is the 35th anniversary of this childhood classic.  All I really remember about this movie was that it both made me feel happy and disturbed, although not necessarily at the same time.  Now that it's being released on Blu-ray I feel like I have the opportunity to rewatch it and see if it still gives me that feeling.

The Suicide Index -Speaking of things that disturb you, book recommendation of the week is The Suicide Index, by Joan Wickersham.  When I first started reading this book I thought it was a novel, and a weird one at that.  Since then I've learned that it's actually a memoir, although still a weird one.  It's definitely a good one though.  Worth checking out, although you've been warned it's dark and follows Wickersham after she learns of the suicide of her father.

No comments:

Post a Comment