Wednesday 12 September 2012

The Words (2012)

Courtesy of Wikipedia
Genre: Drama, Romance
Rating: D

If Inception had been about books instead of dreams then this would have been that movie.  Actually, no, that’s not entirely accurate.  If Inception had been about books and had been really, really bad then it would have been The Words.  This movie was really disappointing; sure Bradley Cooper can be a bit hit-or-miss in his movies and not really a dramatic actor, but I really liked the concept, I really like the idea of frame narration, and I really like the rest of the cast.  I seem to be falling into that form of disappointment a lot lately; interesting concept, primarily stellar cast, bad movie.

Much like how Inception is about a dream within a dream within a dream, The Words is about a story within a story within a story.  Clay Hammond (Quaid) is an author who’s just released his latest book, also titled The Words, and is at a book reading for it where he meets student and major fan Danielle (Wilde), who hits on him and presses for more information about the book.  Hammond’s The Words is a story about Rory Jansen (Cooper), a struggling writer who finds an unpublished manuscript that amazes him and, after his wife, Dora (Saldana), mistakes the manuscript for his own he decides to get it published under his name.  Then he meets the Old Man (Irons), who tells Rory the story of the Young Man (Barnes) who wrote and lost the manuscript.

The big problem with The Words is the fact that it’s unbelievably slow.  The Hammond element to it is completely unnecessary and adds very little – what it does add is supposed to bring an element of mystery to the film but really just convolutes and confuses things.  The real story lies within Rory and the Old Man, not Clay Hammond, and as such the Hammond parts really take away from the overall story.  The one good thing that the Hammond part adds to the overall movie is the title sequence, which I enjoyed (although, like the movie in general, I felt it went on a bit too long).  Actually, I’m going to take back a bit of my critique on the Hammond story; I did like what they were trying to do with it, I just disliked the way they handled it.  In short, I felt the same about that one story line as I did about the movie overall.

Between the three story lines The Words does a lot of set up for a payoff that never really comes.  I liked the end of the Young Man story line – I liked the Young Man story line all around – and understood what they were trying to do with the Hammond, even if I don’t feel that they really achieved it.  The end of the Rory line, however, was just disappointing and rather anticlimactic.  There was no payoff, or at least not enough of one to justify the build up.  What can I say… The Words was all foreplay and no orgasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment