Friday 21 September 2012

Recommendations: September 21

Dredd 3D - The second attempt to bring the Judge Dredd comics to life, this time in 3D!  I've never read the comics themselves, but I always enjoyed the original Judge Dredd as a kid and all the trailers that I've seen of this one suggest that it'll be fun.  Maybe not the best movie, but I'm expecting it to be a good, mindless action flick.

End of Watch - Okay, so we've all seen this movie before - the two cops who end up getting marked for dead and then have to defy the odds in order to survive.  But this time we've got Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña.  This might end up being another mindless action flick, but hey, Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña!

Trouble with the Curve - A new baseball movie starring Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams as a father/daughter duo, struggling to overcome various issues.  This movie is getting Oscar buzz and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower -  Based on the book of the same name Perks follows wallflower Charlie (Logan Lerman) is starting his first year of high school without any friends.  Fortunately for him him he's taken under the wings of two seniors, Patrick (Ezra Miller) and Sam (Emma Watson).  While none of Lerman's films to date have been absolutely amazing they haven't been bad, and both Miller and Watson are absolutely awesome.  Even if I knew nothing about this movie before I would want to see it based on their performances in the trailer.

The Cabin in the Woods - I've been waiting eagerly for this movie to come out on DVD pretty much since I saw it in theatres. This movie really blew my mind and if you haven't seen it yet you should check it out.  If you have seen it, you should probably see it again.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - I really don't know much about this film but it keeps on popping up and the cast - Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson - is enough to make me want to see it.  It should be for you as well.

Ed Wood - The classic Tim Burton/Johnny Depp pair up (that isn't Edward Scissorhands), Ed Wood is about the legendary cult film director Ed Wood, the film follows a period of the director's life when he was making his most famous movies.  The thing that I love about this film is that it kind of envokes the feel of an Ed Wood movie, without being one (or as bad as one, for that matter).

Hysteria - I've been wanting to see this movie since I first heard about it, but due to the nature of its release I was unable to see it in theatres.  Starring Maggie Gyyllenhaal and Hugh Dancy it's based on the story of how the first vibrator was invented.  It's a period piece, so it's not for everyone, but hey, it's about vibrators, so maybe it is.

Stardust - By Neil Gaiman, this book is definitely not as good as the movie that it inspired.  That being said, though, this book is still pretty damn good.  I've always been a fan of Gaiman, and if you haven't checked him out before you should now.

No comments:

Post a Comment