Wednesday 5 September 2012

Premium Rush (2012)

Courtesy of Wikipedia
Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Shannon, Dania Ramirez
Director: David Koepp
Genre: Action, Thriller
Rating: B+

“I like to ride. Fixed gear. No brakes. Can't stop. Don't want to, either.”

I was a bit surprised by just how much I enjoyed this movie.  Going into it, I figured that it would be good but I was really surprised by just how much it captured me.  Premium Rush isn’t really your typical action flick, but it does have elements of such, along with elements of drama, romance, and humour.  What really captured me, however, was the paratext (for lack of a better word) of the film; the model of New York that served as a map throughout the film, the regular time updates, the text messages, and the way it goes back to tell bits of the story that we haven’t yet been told.

Wilee (Gordon-Levitt) is a New York City bike messenger who takes great pride in being such.  He is a rather reckless rider, although he considers the risks that he takes in his biking to actually be protecting him – he has fixed gears and no brakes on his bike, can’t coast, and doesn’t stop for lights – can’t stop for lights.  He has a girlfriend, Vanessa (Ramirez), who he’s currently fighting with, a rival, Manny (Wolé Parks) who he’s in competition with, and after picking up a package to deliver to Chinatown he has an angry, violent man, Bobby Monday (Shannon), to run – er, bike – from.  The movie runs roughly in real time, covering the span of about two hours (from just before Wilee picks up the package to when he drops it off), with flashbacks utilized to explain the backstory of the different characters.

One of the things that I really liked about this movie – and I realize that it’s a bit lame – was the way they did the map of New York.  Movies like this really depend on the space in which they occur, and often they assume that the viewer has some sort of working knowledge of the area.   Premium Rush doesn’t do so; it realizes that despite the rather large population of New York the majority of viewers will probably not be from the state let alone the city and thus provides a map rather frequently – merging the idea of a phone GPS system with a miniature model of the city.  I loved this map simply because it put the movie in a real place for me.

That’s not all that I loved though.  I really liked the way they nicely mixed drama and humour.  There wasn’t anything about it that was really “this is a funny moment, laugh now” but there were still more than a few moments that brought a smile to my face, often despite the humour occurring in a rather unconventional way.  There were more than a few reoccurring jokes and even characters that really shouldn’t typically have humour lines got some – I particularly loved the way that Michael Shannon laughed in this film, although I’m not sure if that’s his normal laugh or not.   I really liked the cast too, and the fact that Gordon-Levitt and Shannon aside they weren’t actors who are really well known.  I like watching movies and TV shows with rather unknown actors because it gives you a chance to fall in love with the character because of their own characteristics and not simply because they’re played by someone that you already know and love.

My favourite part, however, was probably the ending.  I’m not going to go into too much detail, because I don’t want to spoil, but I love how things were resolved – or not resolved.  Some things are resolved while other things are left hanging and in the end I was left with a sense that the story continued after the credits rolled, but without leaving me hanging.  There were a lot of issues that came up in the film and were more secondary to the plot that made me cringe in a way – stuff that made me go “I’ve seen movies before, I know how this is going to end.”  I was pleasantly surprised in that a lot of these actually didn’t end up how I expected them to and some of them didn’t even really get resolved.  It was a lot like life in that: not all of your problems can be solved in a two hour period, or even one day, or even ever.  Sometimes things are left unresolved or hanging, and Premium Rush acknowledges that while still leaving you with a feeling of closure.

No comments:

Post a Comment