Thursday 27 September 2012

Moonraker (1979)

Director: Lewis Gilbert
Genre: Action, Adventure, Thriller
Rating: C+

Bond (Moore) is back, this time investigating the disappearance of the space shuttle Moonraker.  His investigation brings causes him to look into Hugo Drax (Lonsdale), the owner of the company that made the shuttle, and Dr. Holly Goodhead (Chiles), an astronaut who is also investigating the disappearance.  Guess who turns out to be the bad guy and who turns out to screw Bond.

I think at this point the Bond movies are beginning to fall into a bit of a tired forumla; they open with something that probably has little to do with the current film (but might tie into the last one) and usually features Bond about to sleep with some woman, credits role, Bond is given a mission, he meets the bad guy who is pretending to not be the bad guy, he meets the woman, he flirts heavily with the woman while defeating the bad guy then screws the woman and all is good.  Honestly, it gets kind of boring after awhile.

Frequent Bond screenwriter Richard Maibaum has said of this movie that "[w]ith Moonraker, we went too far in the outlandish," which means that I'm allowed to critique Moonraker for its outlandish-ness.  I've criticized previous films for their outrageousness and it's been a frequent comment in these reviews that I've found myself saying "are you fucking serious."  While I've been trying to just go with it, in Moonraker I was back at the "are you fucking serious" state as problem after problem piled up.  I did enjoy the ending, I will admit that, but I wasn't really a fan of the journey to get to it.  It was, as Mauibaum put, "too far in the outlandish."  Even with a suspended disbelief, I couldn't really bring myself on board to the whole concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment