Tuesday 21 August 2012

You Only Live Twice (1967)

Courtesy of Wikipedia
Director: Lewis Gilbert
Genre: Action, Adventure, Thriller
Rating: B-

Once again, Bond is back, this time in a movie that is just really weird.  At the start of the film, James Bond (Connery)'s death is faked, enabling him to go undercover in Tokyo, where he investigates whether or not the Japanese are involved in the hijacking of an American spacecraft.  Bond hooks up with another Bond girl, SPECTRE is revealed to be involved, and a lot of things happen that make you wonder just how we haven't succeeded in blowing up the world yet.

I really don't know how I felt about this one.  It was short, or at least it felt that way, and so I didn't get bored - which has happened with other Bond movies - but I didn't really feel enticed either.   I actually found a lot of this movie to be based on racial stereotypes, more so than in previous Bond films.  Once again, a lot of this movie reminded me of Austin Powers (fitting, because it is part of the basis for the parody), and its strengths seemed to lay in the fact that while being similar to the Mike Meyers film it wasn't actually Austin Powers.  This is going to be a rather short review, simply because I don't really know what to say about this movie.  I didn't really enjoy it, but at the same time I didn't really dislike it either.  It's a weird one, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment